Read This First

Applications for grants distributed between July 2017 and June 2018 are no longer available and will not be accepted.

The next application cycle is for grants to be distributed between July 2018 and June 2019. The application should become available in February 2018. The deadline is May 31, 2018. Reminders are distributed via e-mail and SMS/text messages. You can also text @201819a to the number 81010 or (636) 486-0790.

The annual awards program will in sha Allah distribute approximately $10,000 in grants to new applicants. Renewal recipients typically receive between $25,000-$30,000 in grants each year.

The Fadel Educational Foundation, Inc. is a non-profit educational foundation supporting education for non-incarcerated Muslim U.S. citizens and permanent residents. The awards are distributed on a need/merit basis up to $3,500 a year for post-secondary education.

Use the pages in the menu bar at the top to access any available application forms, instructions for award recipients and a Frequently Asked Questions document about all facets of the application and disbursement process.

Use these social networking services to have FEF news delivered to your PC or mobile device:

E-mail Distribution List for Supporters of the Foundation

We encourage all who deal with the foundation to submit a review at

The foundation also accepts donations.

Updated July 17, 2017.


2015-2016 Awards Summary

Ten new applicants were awarded $16,000, and 21 renewal applicants were awarded $35,751.46.

I’m ABD. May I still receive a grant?

If you are ABD, you must have your advisor write a letter confirming that you are making progress towards completion of your dissertation. The letter should set a date for completion.

If you receive an award, and then later you request a renewal, your advisor must write a similar letter to support your renewal request. If the expected completion date changes, the advisor must explain why in writing.

Return to Main FAQ document

Is this person OK for my recommendation letter?

University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire has some good tips about recommendation letters.

I received this question:

I have only completed one semester of college work. My professors do not know me that well. Is it okay to get a recommendation from a high school teacher who [has] known me for the past 4 years?

Applicants have to figure out things for themselves. The review committee is not going to know who did not write your letter of recommendation. They will only look at the letter of recommendation the foundation receives.  So just get the best one you can get.

If the letter of recommendation only talks about things you did 10 years ago, then the reviewers will probably wonder what you’ve done the last 10 years. But one year is not a huge length of time.

Finally, if you think that a gap in time is a problem, send in two letters of recommendation. Send in both the stronger one from the more distant past and the weaker, more recent one.

Don’t go overboard with this. For traditional age students, i.e. 18-24, transcripts are a much more important indication of your academic ability than recommendation letters.

Return to Main FAQ document

I don’t have ___________? Is that OK?

Fill in this blank with any document we request in the application. The Secretary does not forward the application for review unless there is a complete application form, an official transcript, a FAFSA (or its equivalent) and a recommendation letter. If the document you are missing is something other than what I’ve mentioned, than your application still gets reviewed.  Depending on how impressive your other documents are, the missing document may not matter. If you are publishing in peer-reviewed journals, nobody’s going to care if you can’t find a copy of your SAT score. If you’re just out of high-school, than the copy of your SAT score report is more important.

So don’t ask the Secretary this question.

Return to Main FAQ document

May I Submit an Unofficial Transcript to Save Money?

New and renewal applicants are required to submit official transcripts.

Penn State University’s website has a description of official transcripts:

An official transcript is the University’s certified statement of your academic record. The official paper transcript is printed on security sensitive paper and contains the University seal and signature of the University Registrar. The official electronic transcript is a PDF secured by a digital certificate which is displayed at the top of the transcript along with a blue ribbon.

We also accept authenticated, signed Adobe PDF documents for renewal applicants and awardees asking for the second disbursement. Some universities allow secure electronic transmission, so ask your registrar about that. Some universities allow you to provide proxies access to your financial and academic records, so that would substitute for an official transcript as well. We also accept documents from secure services like Interfolio.

Remember, as is clearly stated on the application:

For each institution which awarded you a degree, submit your most complete official transcript. Submit your latest official transcript which shows your current progress towards the educational goals you listed above. Only submit your high school transcript if you have not completed significant college work.

For 90% of applicants, you will only need to submit 1 or 2 official transcripts. If you are nearing the end of your PhD or professional school and you have 2 previous degrees, you probably need to be using a service like Interfolio as you apply for other grants and then jobs.

If one of your institutions is charging too much money for a transcript, then you should discuss with that institution a remedy such as those I’ve mentioned above. Or organize a student strike. Or something. But it’s not FEF’s responsibility.

FEF also requires official transcripts for award winners to get the 2nd half of their disbursement. If you don’t want to pay for an official transcript showing your grades in the Fall semester, have the Financial Aid office explain to you and the FEF Secretary how to verify that you passed your classes in the Fall semester without an official transcript being sent.

Return to Main FAQ document

May I Send Application Materials by E-Mail?

New applicants must submit all material under a single cover by US Postal Service. Renewal applicants and awardees requesting a second disbursement may send materials by e-mail, especially transcripts.

Return to Main FAQ document